The Disability Law Center (DLC), Utah’s Protection and Advocacy System for individuals with disabilities, has an opening for an attorney.
The successful candidate will provide advocacy for individuals with legal issues related to their disability, specifically advocating for their rights under Titles I, II and III of the Americans with Disabilities Act and the Rehabilitation Act. This position will involve working closely with other members of DLC’s Access and Rights Team and Employment Team. Duties may include preparing legal research, giving legal advice, reviewing and understanding administrative regulations, providing legal, policy, and analysis of issues, developing public educational programs, participating in preparation of grant proposals, and representing the DLC or its clients various proceedings. The position will focus on securing physical and programmatic access for individuals with disabilities. The position is located in Salt Lake City with some periodic travel to other areas of the state. However, during the Covid-19 pandemic, attorneys are permitted to work remotely from their homes.
The DLC is a non-profit, civil rights-focused law office providing legal advocacy services statewide to Utahans with disabilities. Services include: legal advice and representation, including litigation services; intake and referral, outreach, training and public policy advocacy. The DLC has approximately 30 staff members including attorneys, advocates, intake specialists, administrators and support personnel. Core program funding comes from annualized federal grants.
- Utah State Bar active membership or immediate eligibility for membership
- Litigation and administrative law experience, with 2-4 years of civil litigation experience preferred
- Experience representing individuals in state and/or federal courts
Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to relate effectively and respectfully to individuals with disabilities.
- Commitment to advancing civil rights & social justice
- Commitment to the principles of community integration for individuals with disabilities
- Minorities and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Compensation and Hours
This is a full-time position. The DLC’s salary range and benefits package for this position are competitive with other public interest law providers. Starting salary will fall within the range of $60,000-$73,000 depending on experience.
How to Apply
Please submit a letter of interest, and a copy of your resume with references to Jennifer Carver, Paralegal at email@example.com. The position will remain open until filled, and applicants will be assessed on a rolling basis.