Patient Rights at the Utah State Hospital (USH)

Fact Sheet
Updated: 1 year ago
Institutional Rights and Civil Liberties

Resident Rights

This guide is to inform staff and residents at the Utah State Hospital (USH) about a resident’s rights. When a patient is admitted to the USH, certain rights may be taken away for a short time. However, there are other rights which can’t be taken away. Those rights include:

  • the right to be free from abuse and neglect.
  • the right to be informed about your rights when you first arrive at the facility.
  • the right to humane treatment, dignity, and care.
  • the right to be part of creating your treatment plan.
  • the right to refuse treatment, including medications, except in the case of emergency, or if ordered through a forced medication hearing (see Forced Medication fact sheet).
  • the right to have your records kept confidential.
  • the right to be free from restraint or seclusion, except in the case of emergency.
  • the right to be informed of your treatment.
  • the right to privacy.
  • the right to practice the religion of your choice or to not participate in any religious activities.
  • the right to talk privately on the phone and with visitors.
  • the right to vote in all elections, local and federal.
  • the right to make a complaint without being reprimanded.
  • the right to talk with an attorney or advocate.

Rights Which Can Be Take Away

If there is a doctor’s order, it is legal for the USH to take away certain rights for a short time. Those rights include:

  • the right to smoke.
  • the right to drink caffeine.
  • the right to go outside.
  • the right to choose what foods you eat.
  • the right to own personal property.
  • the right to make phone calls.
  • the right to have visitors.

(For more information, go to Utah Department of Health and Human Services)

What You Can Do To Get Help

If you have concerns about your rights as a resident at USH, you can:

  • Speak with your social worker.
  • Complete a yellow “Statement of Concern” form. If you cannot find this form at the unit, ask staff for one. The patient advocate can help you fill out the form. Place the completed form in the appropriate box at the unit. It may take more than a week, but you will receive a response to your Statement of Concern.